Two APLU members, Dr Allison Anthony and Prof Geo Quinot, contributed to the 12th Annual SmartProcurementWorld Indaba held at Gallagher Convention Centre in Midrand, Johannesburg between 17 and 20 September 2018. This annual event attracts more than 500 visitors from all sectors of supply chain management, both in private and public sectors.
Dr Anthony hosted a technical round table in which she analysed a number of recent key judgments in the area of public procurement. These included cases dealing with
- Strict compliance with tender conditions
- ABET Inspection Engineering (Pty) Ltd v The Petroleum Oil & Gas Corporation of South Africa
- Overstrand Municipality v Water & Sanitation Services SA (Pty) Ltd
- Extension of tender validity period
- Raubex Construction (Pty) Ltd Road Agency Limpopo SOC
- Time frame for challenging tender awards
- Amandla GCF Construction CC v Municipal Manager of Saldanha Bay MunicipalityGallagher Convention Centre.
Prof Quinot made a presentation on the liability of procurement officials in the public sector. He highlighted the different areas of law in terms of which procurement officials can be held liable and discussed the requirements of each. He focused specifically on the new developments around holding administrators accountable for litigation costs where a public tender is challenged and found irregular by a court, as emerged from the High Court judgment in Westwood Insurance Brokers (Pty) Ltd v Ethekwini Municipality and Others (8221/16)  ZAKZDHC 15 (5 April 2017)