Steve Guppy, is the Director of Procurement at Crown Agents, one of the world’s leading international development organizations specializing in public procurement and supply chain management.
Over the last 20 years, he and his team have worked alongside 12 African countries* to help strengthen national procurement systems. The range of support they provide includes:
- diagnostics and assessment
- drafting/revision of procurement laws and regulations
- advice on national architecture for public procurement
- strategic planning and road mapping for reform
- establishment of, and ongoing support to, regulatory/oversight bodies
- preparation of operational guidelines, manuals and standard bidding documents/templates
- capacity development, including supporting qualification and professionalisation of the procurement cadre
- stakeholder engagement and sensitization
- specific strategic procurement initiatives such as e-procurement, value for money assessment, compliance and performance monitoring, framework contracting and sustainable procurement
They have also provided technical assistance directly to institutions such as the African Union, African Development Bank and the United Nations to enhance the procurement systems and processes within those organisations.
*Angola, Botswana, Eswatini, Ethiopia, Ghana, Malawi, Mozambique, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe